Employment Opportunity – Spiritual Care Practitioner
April 28th, 2022
Grey Sisters of the Immaculate Conception, founded in Pembroke in 1926, is a Catholic religious community of women who trace their heritage back to Saint Marguerite d’Youville, who founded the original community of “Grey Nuns” in Montreal in 1737. Grey Sisters have always tried to be attentive to the signs of the times and to respond to current needs.
The Grey Sister Community currently has forty-nine Canadian Sisters and four who live and work in their home country, the Dominican Republic.
The Spiritual Care Practitioner works out of a contemporary theology, spirituality, and sense of liturgy to provide spiritual support to the Grey Sister Community.
The Spiritual Care Practitioner facilitates and supports a vibrant community by offering a variety of services including liturgy and prayer services, liturgical music participation, opportunities for quiet contemplation, small group sharing, individual pastoral visits, always seeking to marry individual and community life and growth with attentiveness to the needs of the world.
Accountability: The Spiritual Care Practitioner reports to the Executive Director and works in collaboration with the designated contact on the Grey Sister Leadership Team.
Context: The Spiritual Care Practitioner will work from an office located in Caritas Residence but ministry is not confined to that location. For example, there are approximately 19 Sisters living at Shalom Residence which is located nearby. The Spiritual Care Practitioner may be asked to travel to the Dominican Republic.
- This is a new position with hours to be negotiated
- Entails collaboration with the Grey Sister Leadership Team, Grey Sister staff, and staff working at Shalom
- Supports clergy and retreat directors as required at Caritas and Shalom
Job Summary: The Spiritual Care Practitioner is responsible to:
- Assess the emotional, spiritual/religious resources and needs of the Community
- Organize, schedule and provide rituals, ceremonies, and prayer services
- Provide a spiritual/pastoral presence and support to residents, including pastoral counselling when indicated
- Provide grief and bereavement support and coordinate funeral planning for deceased Sisters
- Design and deliver individual and group spiritual development opportunities
- Maintain appropriate records
- Demonstrate an ongoing respect for the values, culture and traditions of the Grey Sister Community
- Meet with and report to the designated leadership contact
- Assist with accompanying sisters to doctor’s appointments and hospital visits
Experience working with seniors, people living with cognitive impairments and other life limiting conditions, and people at end-of-life would be excellent preparation for work in this setting.
Commits to Personal and Professional Integration:
- Engages in ongoing theological reflection
- Attends to ongoing personal issues as they impact one’s ministry
- Practices self-care
- Maintains confidentiality in all areas of responsibility
- An understanding of religious life and the Catholic faith
- A Master’s in Pastoral Studies or equivalent and at least 2 units of Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE)
- Membership in Canadian Association for Spiritual Care (CASC)
- Must demonstrate a high degree of interpersonal sensitivity and excellent communication skills
- Skill in counselling, group facilitation and program development
- Musical talent and an ability to converse in Spanish are assets
- A criminal background check for the Vulnerable Sector
- Knowledge and experience in computer software systems
- Two or more years of pastoral ministry relevant to this position
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience for the job
Apply by May 31, 2022
Ian Welton, Executive Director, email@example.com
215 Deacon St.
Pembroke, ON K8A 8S8
Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. We thank all applicants for their interest.